So your looking for a quick and easy desert that you can make in the morning to be ready for the even meal when you have friends over… difficult friends, friends with difficult dietary requirements, the vegan, the gluten free mother in law… look no futher this is it, this is the easy, but fancy top nosh desert! (And as the vegan with the gluten free mother in law, I know your pain and frustration at finding decent deserts, once you’ve done a fancy fruit salad a few times you need more inspiration!)
What you need (1 large tart)
- Mrs Crimbles Pastry Mix (honestly I have tried to make g/f pastry from scratch, it was not worth it, this stuff is amazing and it works!) – http://www.mrscrimbles.com/products/home-bake-mixes/
- 3.5oz Vegetable Trex (or margarine)
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 120g dairy free spread
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 6 tbsp cornflour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Soya Milk
- 2 peaches, fresh or tinned (or other appropriate soft fruit!)
- Icing sugar to dust
What you need to do:
- First make your pastry (this of course does not have to be gluten free, but if you are going to make it g/f I would strongly recommend using Mrs Crimbles Pastry Mix, I found it in my local sainsburys so think it is readily available! Follow the instructions on the pack…
- I use a food processor for pastry, advice I was given from my mum, she is right, it makes much better pastry, something to do with keeping the heat down and not over working the dough. So combine the flour mix with the vegetable fat in your food processor and give it a quick wizz, slowly add the 4 tbsp of cold water, the dough should quickly form up into a ball. Wrap this in clingfilm and put in the fringe until you need it.
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, then add the margarine, rub it in like you would if you were makings a fine crumble mix.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix together to form a soft paste.
- Get your pastry from the fringe and roll it out until it is large enough to fill your tart dish(make sure you have greased your tart dish before you put the pastry in!) …… a good tip for rolling pastry, partially g/f pastry….. Cover your work surface in clingfilm, place your pastry in the middle of the clingfilm and then place a new piece of clingfilm over the whole surface again. Now roll your pastry, it will spread out under the clingfilm and once you have it to the correct size you can lift off the top sheet of clingfilm, and lift the pastry with bottom clingfilm and pace it pastry down into your tart dish. Now smooth the pastry into place. Once happy, remove the clingfilm and do any additional patching required. I challenge you to try it once, it makes things so much easier!!!
- Now your tart dish is lined you do not have to pre-bake the pastry, so fill the tart with your frangipane mix and then cover in sliced peaches.
- Put in a pre-heated oven for approx 25mins at 160
- Once baked leave it to cool for at least 1 hr and lightly dust with icing sugar before serving.