So I am not quite sure why most recipes for Gingerbread Men have egg in them, maybe it is habit for some people, I am not sure, but it is definitely not needed as this wonderful recipe shows!
I made these gingerbread men as Christmas presents this year, they really do make a super tasty and fun present, and are fantastic dipped in tea!
They are also really easy and great fun to make with kids, or just young at heart adults!
What you will need:
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine (I use Pure since it has little added flavor)
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- Icing sugar (for decorating)
- Mix together all your dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Melt your margarine in the microwave for a few seconds
- Add your golden syrup to the melted margarine
- Combine all wet and dry ingredients to make a stiff dough
- Now you can either move straight into rolling out the dough and making your gingerbread men now, but I tend to find that if I wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave it in the fridge for half an hour the dough is much more workable.
- Preheat your oven to 170c
- So wither you went straight ahead or waited, you now need to lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough to make your gingerbread men, once you have covered your tray (make sure none of the men are touching, because they will stick together if they are!) Place in the oven for approx 15mins
- They should be a little darker then when they went into the oven, with a slightly hardened top, but they will still be soft, so take them out and leave them to cool for at least 20mins before you start to decorate!
- Decorate, have fun 🙂