“Aww they are so cute I have to make them!!” This was my reaction when a few weeks ago I saw a post from the fantastic blog Fork and Beans, if you are looking for vegan candy inspiration then this really is the place to look.
Here is the original post; vegan-chocolate-turtles
They take a little patience, but really are very cute and tasty! I am not sure mine are as good as the ones from Fork and Bean but for a first attempt I was happy 🙂
I also used Hazelnuts for the heads, and Walnuts for the legs since I didn’t have any Pecan nuts in the cupboard.
So last weekend I was visiting my friends for a girly night in with cocktails, more specifically we had Rum… I decided that I wanted to take this theme and make some appropriately festive cupcakes… so here is my cocktail inspired Coconut Cupcake with Pineapple frosting (annoyingly I didn’t actually have any Rum in the house when I was cooking, otherwise these would be Coconut Rum Cupcakes and dont they sound amazing!) However minus the rum these cupcakes were delicious and they really were the perfect cocktail accompaniment!
What you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml coconut cream
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
- Fresh or Dried Pineapple
- Vegan Margarine
- Rum (I didn’t have this but it would work!)
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 160c and prepare your cupcake tray
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a large jug combine all the wet ingredients, and whisk together.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry until fully combined, should be a soft drop consistency.
- Spoon mixture into your cupcake tray and bake for around 20mins
- Once cooled make the frosting… When I made this I used fresh pineapple, once I had added margarine and icing sugar I didn’t need any additional water, if anything the fresh pineapple made the frosting a little too moist, but delicious. I think next time I will cut up small chunks of dried pineapple, then add a little rum to give this frosting a little more kick!
An there you have the perfect caribbean style cocktail cupcake… I cant wait to have a good excuse to make them again!