So after 4 months without internet we are finally connected again… I have loads of things to catch up on, but here is one of my favorite meals… Pizza!
Pizza has to be one of the meals that so people assume that vegans cant eat… it is simply not true, pizzas are great, wither made at home or out in a restaurant, leave off the cheese and you can have a traditional Italian pizza, none of this over fatty, greasy American style pizza, but proper traditional Italian pizza (Italian restaurants are great!)
Now of course if you are short on time you can buy pizza bases and tomato source from the supermarket and there is nothing wrong with this, but if you have time then nothing can beat a fully home made pizza!
Pizza Base – What you will need (2 pizza bases)
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 160ml warm water
- 250g Strong white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin tomato
- 6 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Handful fresh Basil & Marjoram (if possible)
- Dried mixed herbs to taste
- 4 – 6 Mushrooms
- 1 Pepper
- 1 Avocado
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- Handful olives
How to bake?
First you need to make your dough, this will take at least 1 hour to prove, but since the rest of the meal wont take long, and cooking time is only 12-15mins the overall cook time is only about an hour an a half.
- In a large mixing bowl add your yeast to the warm water, and leave for around 10mins until it starts to froth.
- Add the flour
- Add the salt (make sure the flour is between the yeast and the salt, otherwise the yeast will stop working properly)
- Add the oil.
- Mix well, then knead the dough for around 5 mins. The dough should be quite soft and smooth.
- Put dough back into bowl with a drizzle of oil and leave to raise for around 1hr.
- Start on the tomato source….
- Separate the tomatoes from the tomato juice in your tin of tomatoes.
- Put the tomatoes into a blender, add the sun dried tomatoes, and herbs. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended tomato mix into a small pan, and simmer the tomato source on a medium heat for about 15mins, add the tomato puree and dried mix herbs to taste. Once reduced take off the heat and leave to cool down.
- Prep all your veg!
- Once your dough is ready its time to have fun… But first turn your oven on, it needs to be at least 200c Pizzas cook hot and quick!
- Half your dough and knead and stretch your dough into shape. Lay out on two trays.
- Once your dough is in the required shape (this can take a while, the dough will stretch and move around, and if your trying to be fancy and twirl it, well it might take a long time!) But once happy, cover in the tomato source and then top will all veg.
- When the pizza is ready, I tend to sprinkle a few more dried mixed herbs on top, and then spritz with a little oil, since there is no cheese to cover or protect the veg.
- Put into oven and cook for around 12-15mins
- Remove and enjoy!
Other great tried and tested toppings….
- Tinned Pineapple
- Fresh spinach
- Red Onion
- Fresh Tomato
- Sun dried Tomato
- Vegan cheese