It is cold, I hear in some parts of the country it is snowing… here it is just cold, but a bitter cold, made colder by the fact that we have just moved house, and the house we have moved into doesn’t have a working boiler! In fact as I sit here next to my small portable radiator dreaming of ginger cake, I am in fact waiting for the boiler man to come around and offer to fit a new working boiler so that I may have heating…
So distract myself from the cold here is an amazingly warming, tasty and indulgent Sticky Toffee Ginger Cake!!
- 350g Plain Flour
- 200g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp backing powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 225ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp treacle – Tip, put metal tbsp into jug of boiling water, then into treacle jar(stops it being so sticky!)
- 100ml Oil
- Large handful of crystallized ginger
- Golden Syrup
- Margarine for greasing
- Put your oven on to 180c
- Grease your baking tray… I would suggest a large Pyrex dish approx 8in x 8in
- Coat the bottom of the tray with Golden Syrup then sprinkle over your crystallized ginger
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a jug or bowl.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients them combine wet with dry, then pour over the ginger and golden syrup in the tray.
- Put in oven for approx 35-45mins.
- Tip cake out onto a large plate or board, serve warm – with custard!! (If you don’t tip the cake out when warm, you will need to reheat before you do, because the ginger and toffee will set hard.)
Perfect for family gathers and cold winter nights, (also great reheated in the microwave with custard!)